Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thing #15 2.0 The Future is Us

Been doing the "library thing" for a long time and can't tell you how exciting it is to be immersed in this whole 2.0 version of "life in the library." Yes, with it comes the need to change...and I have handled it better than I ever thought because it has been so exciting.
And F-U-N!

One of the hardest things for me to accept was that in the 2.0 world I can NOT know all there is to know. I do have a responsibility to be familiar with as many things as I can so I can assist people within my circle of influence who want to use or experience something 2.0. AND I have to be ahead of the curve as well...I have to be the experimenter, the tester, the pioneer as much as I can.

There is so much choice in the 2.0 world. I have to be flexible and guide those who seek my assistance in the direction that best fits their needs. I can't make them do it the "old" way just because I'm more familiar (or comfortable) with that way. The user should determine the format, not be locked into a more traditional method.

But users have a responsibility as well. No one will know everything so everyone will have to learn parts on their own. That is one reason this 23 Things is so important to me. I have had to discover how some things work on my own with only the directions, FAQs, and samples. Even the teachers I support have to become users to a certain extent and must take on some responsibility to familiarize themselves with the 2.0 tools their students may want to use, simply because I can no longer "know it all." Teachers and librarians are going to have to be partners in this endeavour even more than in the past. None of us will be able to handle it alone.

The statements brought out in the video must be a wake up call that students are going to use the technology...with or without us! We need to rethink policies that keep them away from the very tools they find most useful and we need to provide the information as freely as possible to as many points of access as we can on a 24/7 timeline. And we need to understand they don't do these things in isolation...group dynamics is all a part of the learning process...no learning in isolation any longer.

And just a short statement about books because they are a part of this 2.0 picture as well. In my opinion, books will not disappear. The types of books we purchase for our libraries will change. We don't need the big, heavy, expensive research volumes...that info is available on line in much more appealing format...multiple users, printouts or emailed copies of only what is needed. Audio books, whether in a mp3 or "Kindle" format, are still "books." And yes, the beautifully illustrated picture books, the graphic novels, and the throw-away pocket book novels for a visit to the beach will still be around.

I think I said it before...choice. In many formats for many reasons. That's my view of 2.0. For now. Watch out, it will change!
Whew, Have finally caught up!
Froggy Wart

No comments: