Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Thing #18 Open Sesame Open Sources

Some more tools for that ever-expanding toolbox.

Been using Google Docs, particularly the spreadsheet, for the last few months. For several reasons...
1. it's a Thing!
2. Spreadsheets, any spreadsheets are my nemesis, my Achilles' heel or any other negative term you can come up with. I just have so much trouble with them. I FORCE myself to use them to try and "get-over-it." I think I can finally say I can use them with text fairly well. Formulas..nope! Calculator for me!
3. Collaboration/sharing. Needed to share some information that could be manipulated or changed.

Like the fact that I have a place to park things on something other than my computer. Yes, thru the district I have some storage places, but it's limited for a variety reasons and by putting things in Google Docs, I can get to it when I need to, no matter where I am. And frankly, district storage makes me nervous...there are so many variables.

Downloaded and set-up Open Office. Took awhile. Felt like I was back in my days of dial-up waiting for my genealogy documents to open! Anyway, I know I will use it (despite the fact I have a perfectly good set of MS Office tools on both my home and office computers.) I know the district has been tossing the idea around of going with an open source resource so I want to be up on the idea if and when it comes.

It will not be easy for me. I am SUCH a creature of habit. I will use older versions of things just because I know how and don't need to change to do what I need to do. But I have come to the realization over the last few years that change or adaptation is necessary...need to keep moving to keep up. So I will tackle the various parts of Open Office "soon." I will find a project and force myself to get through it and come out on the other side. If you don't understand what I mean, go back and read my first posting about my first wiki development. Arrrggghh!!!

The Draw portion has appeal for me. I used Appleworks/ClarisWorks Draw for almost everything I did for several years "way long time ago." Never got over not having it when I made the move to MS products..UNTIL I let PowerPoint become my work surface. I use PPT for probably 90% of any product...be it graphic/photo manipulation to training materials. Hummm, maybe that's 95%. So it will be interesting to see how Open Office Draw factors into my methods...but the buttons looked so intimidating...SOOOOO many of them!

It will be good to have knowledge of something that more people could access and not have the software themselves. Again with the sharing and collaboration issues mentioned above. And I will try very hard to accept and use the presentation system, but o, my PPT...it's like that one old worn out pair of comfy shoes that are STILL in my closet...

But I will try, I really will try! I promise!

More later,
Froggy Wart

No comments: