Saturday, March 1, 2008

Thing #16: It's Been a Wiki of a Month

Ok, am updating my original thoughts about my wiki experience so that I can move onto other Things!

I did get two wikis created for two assignments I was given. The first one was an excruciating painful experience as are most of my maiden voyages into something new technology-wise. The second one was a much more positive experience...mainly because I controlled all of the variables this go-round.

I have to remember to work with the software and not try to make the software work with my pre-conceived notions. Once I remembered that, the second attempt went much faster and smoother.

I am fully committed to using wikis for other things now. I like the PBWiki format so probably will stay with it when I can. Again, that is something I have had to learn about 2.0 web tools...there are many that will do virtually the same thing. Find one or two, learn to use them and don't worry too much about all the other similar ones...personal choice should play into it.

I have reviewed many of the wikis included in the assignment over the last year. At first I was not too impressed because I saw many incomplete, messy-looking, or "dead" wikis...when I finally realized that many wikis are simply workspaces for team collaboration and that final "products" are probably elsewhere, it made sense.

The major purpose of wikis is the collaboration piece and I have participated in a few...most to just add an idea or thought and one to add multiple resources as I come across them.

I do plan to use the wiki format soon, but not for a collaboration in the normal sense. Because our district's source for webpages is changing and the current choice is not very easy to work with, I have decided to make a framework withing the district's software and add the bulk of my materials, resources, and notes to a wiki. It will be much easier for me to update and change to meet my needs...and I have the option of making it collaborative later!

So, ok, you can call me a wiki fan now...albeit on my own terms (as often happens with me.)

Moving on,
The Frog

P.S. Here are the wikis I worked on during the last month. The groups have the option of adding to and/or changing but so far I have not had any inquiries.
ScoreWrite Research Topics
A Raisin in the Sun Project

1 comment:

Hebrews 13:2 said...

Vaughn...
Thank you for you comments and suggestions on my "Thing #16"...Your ideas are good...When I complete the "23 Things", I plan to do a whole lot of experimenting...Wikis will be one of the areas that I will play in until I'm a little more comfortable with it... I hope to complete "Thing # 18" today...H ave a good week.