Thursday, February 7, 2008

Thing #11 That Library Thing...Organized Info...Eventually

Added a few more books to my pile over at Library Thing. I have had an account for awhile but have been very slow at adding for 2 reasons...don't take (or have) time and SO many of my books are not in the database or the other sources. I collect a lot of specialized, small press books and no one else has added them and amazon.com or THE Library have never "heard of them." So I will have to actually sit down and input them...almost like "real" cataloging. Not my favorite "busman's holiday."

TH over at Connected But Hassled had a great idea about including the literary element or other purpose/use for the book in its description...BECAUSE as we all know, those mean, ol' grumpy cataloger people won't let us muddy up those MARC records with made-up subject headings. And those stodgy, serious, and weird (cookery--what real normal person USES that word?) subject headings just don't always fill the bill.

I put one of those cute little cover widgets over on my sidebar so you can see some of the random books that I have in my LibraryThing..at least the ones whose covers show up. I wish I could select what shows...I have others that are more "favorite." But anyway, I wanted to have something to show you!

And I do want to find some groups that share my interests...but that is going to be a challenge from what I can tell so far!

I would love for my girls to put all their books in so that they know what they have...especially for teaching needs. But also because it would mean that stack of storage boxes would be at their houses, not mine!

O, I almost forgot...here is another place called Shelfari where you display your own collection of your books in your blog; it puts them in a little "wooden" bookshelf...cute!I have seen it inaction on some blogs I follow, but I aven't had a chance to pay with it myself yet.

Gotta go, it's dog-walking time,
Froggy Wart


P.S. Yes, those MARC records with their controlled vocabulary subject headings DO serve a very important function so take the pins outta that poor cataloger's voodoo doll. Remember-- tag 500a General Note can be used for all kinds of valuable information like literary elements, etc.
Be happy to have this discussion anytime!

No comments: