Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thing #13 A Del.icio.us Taste

Tags and tagging I have down...in another part of my world we have spent many hours discussing the difference between subject headings and keywords...tagging is a kissin' cousin to the keyword idea...

Subject headings - controlled vocabulary
Keywords & Tags - not so much...or are they somewhat created from a "controlled" set of terms.
Del.icio.us is set up to assist you with tagging in that it gives you "hints" at the tags others have used for your links. But you do have the freedom to use any and all words that will help you organize your links.

I have used several things throughout the years to keep up all the great things on the Web. Links worked until you realized that they are computer specific...so when you set up a links bar for your students...you have to go add it to every one of the computers your kids might use!
And then IE7 hid it from you...and it took awhile to figure out where it went...whew, I found it.

Then the matriarch of blogging in my circle taught me about Ikeepbookmarks.com. Set up your bookmarks and they go with you from computer to computer. I put lots of personal things on there and can always have them. I am not good at remembering addresses or sometimes even the title of the site so this little tool solved that problem.

Then when I started on the blogging path...a whole other set of sites to keep up with! Blogrolls helped, but they get longer and longer! Google Reader helps keep up with the reading by showing only those that have updated and then the public reader allows me to share.

Through 23 Things, I have even found more ways that information I use and need can be organized...Google notebook, iGoogle page, Rollyo...and now del.icio.us with Technorati just around the corner.

I have seen del.icio.us lists before thru at least one of the blogs I follow. I noticed Cool Cat is also posting her del.icio.us links as well. The lists overwhelm me. But at least I had some background before tackling it myself.

As has been mentioned before by several of the 23 Things participants, I had to create yet another account...apparantly I must have done so because my user name was taken (and no one else would being using it, I guarantee), but I couldn't come up with a passwrod and they couldn't find my email...but my username was not useable. Ok...so I use another one that I use sometimes for such incidents and go to add my password...not "strong" enough so I have to fiddle with the password. Ok...I surrender... I now have a secret page on one of the many services I use so I can go look up my virtual ids and passwords. O brother!

Finally...to the assignment. I decided to build a list of cataloging sites and information so I can keep up with all the discussions about all the cataloging changes that are coming...RDA, FRBR, tagging!, the debate over to have call #s or not, yada, yada, yada.

BUT...it is already a long list...and I have not yet discovered the "folder" system...if there is one. My email allows for folders, my reader allows for folders...even my computer desk top has folders. I think I am suppose to work with the tags in del.icio.us to achieve some semblance of "order." Am gonna have to get my head around this one...may take me awhile.

More later,
The Frog

No comments: